AFOBI endeavors to source Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified timber products. Where our products are not FSC certified we have good reason to believe that these products use timber that is sourced from ethical sustainable forestry operations. For further details on the timber source of any product just email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 0207 458 4069 and we will be happy to provide you with additional information.
The Forest Stewardship Council is a non-profit organization that promotes responsible management of the world’s forests. There are various forestry certification systems around the world, but of these we feel that FSC certification provides the highest level of forest protection (see details below). AFOBI’s founder is a qualified forester who has worked as a forestry contractor, manager and consultant.
FSC’s 10 Principles of Forest Stewardship (Summarised)
Forestry acitivities will:
- Comply with national Laws.
- Take place only with legal tenure over the land.
- Respect indigenous peoples’ land rights.
- Provide long-term socioeconomic benefits for forest workers and local communities.
- Use the forest resource efficiently to ensure economic, environmental and social benefits.
- Conserve biological diversity, water resources, soils, ecosystems and landscapes.
- Take place in the context of long-term forest management planning.
- Be monitored and assessed on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain high conservation value forests.
- Use plantations to complement, reduce pressures on, and promote the restoration and conservation of natural forests.